Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Roll call

Dosa Cart - If you're an NYU student and still haven't been to the dosa cart on Washington Square South, shame on you. I like the masala dosa (lentil crêpe with spiced potatoes inside), which comes with coconut chutney and a mini soup thing ($5). If you ask for it non-spicy, he'll give you the "sweet" sauce, which is actually a little spicy itself, and it's better than getting the spicy crepe (chili powder added to batter). He makes the crepe right in front of you, so it's still crispy when you get it. I've tried the special pondicherry, in which he adds veggies to the potatoes, but it wasn't as good as just potatoes.

Udon West - When I was younger, I hated on Elvis, tofu and udon. I still dislike tofu, am starting to appreciate Elvis, but sometimes I really crave udon. The thick, chewy noodles (like homemade Italian pici, if you've ever been to Tuscany) in a meaty chicken broth make for a great comfort food. I would advise against getting tempura or fried chicken with it, as it makes the soup a bit greasy and the crunch turns to goop. I'm good with just plain udon, but if you're up for splurging on the nabeyaki udon ($11), the chicken and soft-boiled egg are pretty tasty, but ask for the shrimp tempura on the side.

Doughnut Plant - Overpriced, but admittedly delicious donuts. The tiny crème brûlée was $3, but the custard inside was wonderful. The $2.25 cinnamon bun was eh, but the $2.25 vanilla glazed donut really brought out their strengths. It had this great spongy, chewy texture that I've never had in a donut before. For the adventurous, there's also a peanut butter & jelly donut.

Hester Street Fair - Established in 1895 but just reopened this past Saturday, the fair models itself as a smaller Brooklyn Flea. Overpriced crafts and "street gourmet" food galore in a cramped space off Hester and Essex. I bought a tiny bag of chocolate-covered bacon for $5, and it was okay. The sold-out pulled pork and some giant mouthwatering omelettes intrigued me, and I might come back for that, just because I didn't catch the name of the vendors, who have their own permanent outposts somewhere around the city.

3 comments:

  1. That basically sounds like Indian food heaven. I admit it, I have never been to Dosa because I didn't know what to order...until now.
    Doughnut Plant is one of my goals before heading home next week. As is Peter Pan in Brooklyn, you been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'd never heard of it before, but I'm totally going to check it out ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to the dosa truck either! shame on me! You've inspired me Sam

    ReplyDelete